The annual Test Pressing board meeting took place in London a couple of weeks ago. Top of the agenda, as usual, were “Beer” (Apiento) and “Why Am I Not Rich & Famous” (me). I suspect that these two topics will remain constants, year in, year out. A new one though was the monthly “Round Ups”. We`ve been running these for almost twelve months, with the aim of them serving as a kind of “audio editorial” – recapping on some of the great music we`ve covered and providing a heads up to a few key bits of forthcoming vinyl. However, the A and I, we were both concerned that the “Round Ups” were effectively giving other folks music away for free, and doing so before it had even been released. This for sure was never our intention. I guess enthusiasm blinded us. We want to help publicise, promote, and if possible help increase sales. While we haven’t received any complaints, we decided to change the format. So instead of a “Round Up” of tracks in their near entirety (a feature / fault due largely to my mixing “technique”) you`ll now get a “Shopping List” of clips. Apiento loves a list, and would like this to be a simple top ten. Me, I like my words – when I`m writing I`m trapped in between the lines – so I guess we`ll have to wait and see what kind of compromise pans out. The difference between us likely due to location (City Vs. Country), a near decade age gap, and my inability to view or use my phone as anything other than a phone.
We`re going to try to keep these things forward looking i.e. stuff not yet in the shops but scheduled for release in that calendar month. For September please bear in mind that following tunes that we featured in last month`s “Round Up” have still to hit the shops:
Len Leise on General Purpose; Verdo on Hell Yeah!; Vanishing Twin on Soundway; Harmonius Thelonious on Italic; Juan Marco on International Feel; Coyote on Is It Balearic?; L.U.C.A. on Mondo; Fuga Ronto on Phantom Island. And that Telephones LP (which you need) ain`t out until October.
- The Shopping List / September 2016
- Vox Populi / Le Nénuphare / Emotional Rescue
- DJ Pippi / Eivissa Saxomatic / Music For Dreams
- A Vision Of Panorama / Duality / Mellophonia
- *Prins Emanuel / Aquarius / Music For Dreams
- Mark Barrott / The Mysterious Island Of Dr Nimm (Nu Guinea mix) / International Feel
- Giuliano Sorgini / Amboseli / Four Files
- DJ Pippi / Make U Smile / Music For Dreams
- Crooked Man / I`ll Be Loving You (Love Dub) / DFA
- Wolf & Cass. / Glade Runner (Toulouse Low Trax mix) / International Feel
- *Seahawks / Escape Hatch / Ocean Moon
- Syrinx / Hollywood Dream Trip / RVNG Intl.
- Bronze Savage / Body Glo / Aficionado
- Suzanne Kraft / Roberto & Giovanni / Melody As Truth
N.B. / All tracks here are represented by either clips or quick (but hopefully not too clumsy) “teaser” edits
*hyperlinked to previous review